Third week tucked into my belt for this year’s authorial challenge, Breaking the Author!
I was sick for most of this week, and unlike last year when I was sick, I didn’t force myself to complete daily goals to the detriment of my health. So while I had a couple extra things early in the week I was hoping to get around to, I just didn’t have the health for it this week.
The goals I wanted to achieve were thus:
- Finish first-pass edits on Shapes 1. – Completed this Tuesday night.
- Plot out Shapes 2 with a rough outline. – Completed this Friday night.
- Start line edits on Shapes 1. – Did not even begin this.
- Edit “Shibboleth” and “Damp Summer Nights” short stories. Did not even attempt.
- Maintain blog. – Completed.
So I finished 3 of my 5 goals this week, but I don’t feel too down about it.
Next week I will attempt to pick up the slack a little bit and get myself to where I was hoping to be, but if the scale continues to slide back into the year, that’s also not the end of the world. I’m a busy person and these goals are a lot more nebulous and harder to gauge than “write 1,000 words a day” was.
If I can wrangle the line edits for Shape 1 and get it to a place I feel is appropriate for self-publishing, I will begin finalizing the ebook and looking to get cover art made for it in advance of the start of Shapes 2 on the blog next month.
I also offered a critique this week that I hope was helpful to that person!
Here’s the breakdown for the year:
1. Edit the three novels and two novellas from last year.
– Gridfall (novel)
– Triple T (novella)
– Shapeshifter (novella) FIRST PASS COMPLETE – LINE EDITS TO COMMENCE
– Avalon Circle (novel)
– Savage Duty (novel)
2. Self-publish one of the novels and both novellas.
– Triple T
– Shapes 1 – AIMING FOR FEBRUARY 2016 RELEASE
– Savage Duty
3. Submit other two novels for regular publishing consideration.
– Avalon Circle
4. Continue a weekly Editorial and Update schedule on the blog for this year’s challenge.
– Three Weeks Successful
5. Get started back up on a weekly novel or novella posting on the blog.
– Shapes 2 is plotted and I will begin writing it in the next two weeks.
6. Submit a short story a month.
– Two in January
7. Write at least one short/flash story a month.
– January Story Complete!
8. Write the next part of the Shapeshifter novella series.
– See Number 5.
9. Write the first novel of the new trilogy in the Shades series.
– Not begun.
10. Transcribe the partially-completed coming-of-age fantasy story that only exists in notebooks. Finish the novel.
– Not begun.
That’s it for this update!
And always remember to write the hell on!